- Basic Sewing for Ritual Clothing
March 10, 2019
10:00 am - 5:00 pm
Basic Sewing for Ritual Clothing
(Open to all levels)
March 10, 2019
10 AM – 5 PM with a break for potluck lunch
Registration fee is $20; $10 for dues-current WBL members.
Ritual clothing or basic costuming for certain ceremonies is a need we all have.
- Sometimes what you have no longer fits and you need to make something in a hurry.
- Sometimes you want to make something very deliberately, with intention, and specifications.
- Sometimes the commercial stuff available doesn’t meet your needs or doesn’t really fit the way you want or is too expensive and you need to substitute time for money.
- Sometimes you want pockets.
This workshop will:
- Discuss fabric selection.
- Care and feeding of the selected fabric.
- Take your measurements
- Go over how to make your own pattern for a basic robe.
- Pattern layout for plain fabrics.
- Pattern layout for patterned or sided fabrics.
- Estimating the fabric amount you need based on the width.
- Discuss how to add very basic pockets.
- Discuss Machine v. Hand v. Hybrid sewing
- Go over the assembly of 2 downsized pattern kits (Quick and dirty v. More Efficient)
- To get the feel of how to assemble things and develop some muscle memory.
- Develop the first mock-up of a basic robe pattern
Your materials fee covers:
- Packet with:
- Your measurements recorded
- Instructions for making a variety of very basic costume clothes
- Fabric Choice Notes
- Fabric Care and Feeding Notes
- Basics of Hand-sewing
- Kit with 4 pieces of to-scale fabric and 2 to-scale patterns with sewing instructions.
- Mock-up (If you bring inexpensive fabric)
You should bring:
If you want a full size mock-up bring:
- 4 yards of inexpensive fabric ($1 per yard as a guideline) or queen or king sized sheets bought at a thrift shop. Note: cotton or cotton poly blend preferred. Polyester is not recommended as it is TOO slippery and will drive you insane.
- If you are over 6 feet tall we recommend 5 yards
- (Optional) – Sewing kit and/or machine if you have one.